- ItemOpen AccessPreservation and conservation of newspapers in Nigeria university libraries(Workshop on national policy on preservation of national documentary heritage, 2009-03) Olukemi A. FadehanThe paper gave general overview of the concepts of Preservation and Conservation of newspapers as found in literature as well as international practices. Case studies of newspapers preservation and conservation procedures of five Federal Universities in Southwestern Nigeria were presented from which extrapolations applicable to practices in other Nigerian Universities were drawn. Findings revealed that newspaper management in University Libraries was still below international standard. The paper proffered a holistic approach to solving the problem through the drawing of a national strategy for newspaper preservation and conservation in Nigeria.
- ItemOpen AccessInformation Services(American Studies Association of Nigeria (A.S.A.N), 1998-07-22) OLUKEMI A. ADEGBOYEAmerica has succeeded in evolving a political system that is both enviable and significant in world politics in the last two centuries. The system of governance and the electoral processes have been institutionalized. Peace and serenity characterised the electoral scene in America and this calls for a salient question. What is the trick?: The flow of information is not a luxury. It is a life and death necessity; life and death for industries, for communities, for nations economic health, for survival, for deterrence of war, for progress, for posterity. This is not an exaggeration, it is a hard fact.' There is no doubt that in any process of enlightenment, political in particular, information services provided in a nation are of immense importance. America has succeeded in operating a system of governance with a lesser degree of confusion that obtains in many other nations. So far, America has held a total of forty-two elections since the declaration of independence in 1776. Even though there are many elements that have contributed to the success and progress of their political culture, the nation's body politics has in its wheels a dynamic information system. This paper seeks to take an overview of the American system of government and discuss the role of information services in the electoral processes. It also discusses implications for Nigeria.
- ItemOpen AccessTowards the Development of Special Information Centre for the Nigerian Textile Industry(Journal of Arts and Ideas, 1996-06) Adegboye, O.A; Igbeneghu, B.IThe establishment and the rapid growth of the textile industry from time I immemorial owes much to the innate desire of man to satisfy one of his basic necessities or lire, that is clothing, Textile is derived from the Latin word "textile" which means "to weave", In its original sense, the word textile refers to a fabric rom woven fibbers, However, in recent years there have been some modifications with respect meaning of the word "textile", It means fabric produced by weaving, and felting. It also refers to enterprises that spin yarn from fiber or synthetic materials and to the finisher and dyers of fabrics. Textile irrespective or its raw material and pattern. plays an important role in the Society. Textile in any society is important for covering, transmission of information propagation and preservation of cultural heritage from one generation.
- ItemOpen AccessAcquisition, Management, Use and Prospect of Grey Literature in University Libraries of Developing Countries(Journal Of Physical Education And Research, 2005) OA Adegboye, JO OgunrewoThis paper gave an exposition on the definition of grey literature as those categories of literature which are issued mainly for information purposes and are not commonly controlled by commercial publishing interest. It also attempted all extensive description of what constitute grey literature with a view to bringing out their various characteristics. The work further gave a general overview of the rule (4 grey literature. Among other factors, they serve as good complements of published literature even though their significance have not been brought to the lime light as other published resources in university libraries. The sources of grey literature were identified as those that were unpublished and were not acquired through: normal book trade channels. Methods of acquisitions by practice in university libraries were mainly through direct purchase from the creating agencies as well as through gifts and exchanges programmes among the creators and the university libraries. Also, the management of grey literature vary from library to library and there was not yet evolved a standardized method of maintenance especially in the areas of cataloguing and classification. There was evidence that grey literature were being put into use but quite a lot of current awareness was still needed for optimum maximization of use of these resources. Problems facing the prospects of grey literature were also highlighted and recommendations were also made towards boosting prospects of grey Literature.
- ItemOpen AccessFirst Ladies Information Profile and Women's Political Empowerment in Nigeria(Journal of Arts and Ideas, 2002) Adegboye, O.ADiscourses on women affairs are daily becoming wider in scope and veering into every area of human endeavour, hence, the relevance of feminism in the body politic of a nation. In addition, democracy has become the most popular form of government worldwide with America taking the lead. For instance, America had come to solid terms about her form of government since the declaration of independence in the year 1776 (Pole, 1993:212). Since then, "the term democratic Government has become almost synonymous with the American governance and electoral processes" (Adegboye, '1997:498). Nigeria only gained her independence in 1960. She has since 'Convulsed' with spates of Civilian and Military governments, the latter being the most frequent and longest dispensation she ever had. Only recently, precisely May 29, 1999 she commenced the 4th Republic since independence.