A study of the distribution and patronage patterns of healthcare facilities in Ondo State, Nigeria

Olugbamila, Omotayo Ben (2016)

xxii,294p

Thesis

This study identified and examined the distribution pattern of healthcare facilities in Ondo State; analyzed the factors influencing the distribution pattern of healthcare facilities in the study area; examined the socio-economic characteristics of the patrons; examined the patronage pattern of healthcare facilities; and identified and examined the factors influencing the patronage patterns of healthcare facilities. These were with a view to providing information that will enhance healthcare facility planning in the State. Ondo State was stratified into three senatorial districts: Ondo North, Ondo Central and Ondo South. One local government area was purposively selected from each senatorial district. The settlements in the selected local government areas were further stratified into urban and rural based on their population criterion. Stratified random sampling technique was employed in selecting 10% of both the urban and rural settlements. Three urban settlements and thirty-nine rural settlements emerged from the selected local government areas. In researching into spatial distribution and patronage of healthcare facilities, stratified random sampling technique was employed in selecting 10% of the public and private healthcare facilities. In all 1,189 household heads and 24 healthcare facility operators were sampled. Data collected were analyzed using both descriptive and inferential statistics. The study revealed that about 42% of the healthcare facilities in the State were owned by the government while the remaining 58% were privately owned. The study also revealed that the spatial distribution of healthcare facilities in the State is unevenly distributed. The study further established a significant relationship between socio-economic characteristics of patrons and patronage pattern of healthcare facilities in the study area. The computed Relative Importance Index (RII = 3.73, 3.49 and 3.67) for Ondo North, Ondo Central and Ondo South respectively revealed that the level of importance expressed by the residents on the distribution of healthcare facilities was close to each other. The result of the factor analysis on 11 key variables showed that three factors (economic, accessibility and demographic) were extracted and accounted for 63.751% of the total variance explained for the distribution patterns of healthcare facilities in Ondo State. The result of the multiple regression analysis further revealed that the R2 value of 0.524 indicates that 52% of the total variance in the distribution of health facilities were explained. Furthermore, the computed indexes of attraction for each medical centre revealed that settlements that were closer to healthcare facilities were greatly attracted to the centre with their indices of attraction less than 1 while farther settlements had their indices of attraction greater than 1 depending on the settlement distance. The result of the stepwise multiple regression analysis revealed that service rendered and spatial factors were the major factors influencing patronage pattern of public healthcare facilities, while economic factors was the major determinant factors that influenced the patronage pattern of private healthcare facilities in Ondo State. The study concluded that service rendered and spatial factors were the major factors influencing patronage pattern of public healthcare facilities while economic factors was the major determinant factor that influenced the patronage pattern of private healthcare facilities in Ondo State.

Collections: